not efficient; specif.,
- not producing the desired effect with a minimum use of energy, time, etc.; ineffective
- lacking the necessary ability; unskilled; incompetent
- Not efficient, as:a. Lacking the ability or skill to perform effectively; incompetent: an inefficient worker.b. Not producing the intended result; ineffective: an inefficient campaign against illegal drugs.
- Wasteful of time, energy, or materials: an inefficient design; outdated and inefficient methods.
(comparative more inefficient, superlative most inefficient)
- Not efficient; not producing the effect intended or desired; inefficacious; as, inefficient means or measures.
- Celery is an inefficient food.
- Incapable of, or indisposed to, effective action; habitually slack or remiss; effecting little or nothing; as, inefficient workers; an inefficient administrator.
- Jessica was terribly inefficient at cleaning, so her brother usually had to clean the whole room.
in- + efficient