- The definition of efficient is being productive with minimal effort.
An example of efficient is a car that gets 60 miles to a gallon of gas.
efficient definition by Webster's New World
- directly producing an effect or result; causative; effective: the efficient cause
- producing a desired effect, product, etc. with a minimum of effort, expense, or waste; working well
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin efficiens, present participle of efficere: see effect
- efficiently adverb
efficient definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Acting directly to produce an effect: an efficient cause. See Synonyms at effective.
- a. Acting or producing effectively with a minimum of waste, expense, or unnecessary effort.b. Exhibiting a high ratio of output to input.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin efficiēns, efficient-, present participle of efficere, to effect; see effect.
- ef·fiˈcient·ly adverb