- Efficiency is defined as the ability to produce something with a minimum amount of effort.
An example of efficiency is a reduction in the number of workers needed to make a car.
- ability to produce a desired effect, product, etc. with a minimum of effort, expense, or waste; quality or fact of being efficient
- the ratio of effective work to the energy expended in producing it, as of a machine; output divided by input
- ☆ efficiency apartment
Origin of efficiencyClassical Latin efficientia: see efficient
- a. The quality or property of being efficient.b. The degree to which this quality is exercised: The program was implemented with great efficiency and speed.
- a. The ratio of the effective or useful output to the total input in any system.b. The ratio of the energy delivered by a machine to the energy supplied for its operation.
- An efficiency apartment.
(countable and uncountable, plural efficiencies)
- The extent to which time is well used for the intended task.
- The efficiency of the planning department is deplorable.
- (dated) The quality of producing an effect or effects.
- The extent to which a resource, such as electricity, is used for the intended purpose; the ratio of useful work to energy expended.
- The efficiency of this loudspeaker is 40%.
- A one-room apartment.
- I have an efficiency available June through July.
- fully-furnished efficiencies