- The definition of a faculty is a power, ability or skill.
An example of a faculty is sight.
- Faculty is defined as all the members of a profession or the group of teachers at a specific educational organization.
- An example of a faculty are all the practicing doctors, the medical faculty.
- An example of a faculty is the group of teachers at a specific elementary school.
Sight is an example of a faculty.
faculty definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete the power to do; ability to perform an action
- any natural or specialized power of a living organism; sense: the faculty of hearing, speech, etc.
- power or ability to do some particular thing; special aptitude or skill: a faculty for making friends
Origin: ME < ML facultas, transl. of Aristotle's dynamis, branch of learningin Canada, a college or school of a university
- ☆ all the teachers of a school, college, or university or of one of its departments or divisions
- all the members of any of the learned professions
- a power or privilege conferred by authority
- R.C.Ch. authorization granted to a bishop, priest, etc. permitting the performance of certain acts or functions otherwise prohibited to him
- Archaic what a person is trained to do
- any of the powers of the mind, as will or reason
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French faculte ; from Classical Latin facultas ; from facilis: see facile
faculty definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. fac·ul·ties
- An inherent power or ability.
- Any of the powers or capacities possessed by the human mind. See Synonyms at ability.
- The ability to perform or act.
- a. Any of the divisions or comprehensive branches of learning at a college or university: the faculty of law.b. The teachers and instructors within such a division.c. A body of teachers.
- All of the members of a learned profession: the medical faculty.
- Authorization granted by authority; conferred power.
- Archaic An occupation; a trade.
Origin: Middle English faculte, from Old French, from Latin facultās, power, ability, from facilis, easy; see dhē- in Indo-European roots.
faculty - Medical Definition