- A foundation is defined as an organization set up to finance or complete projects, usually for a non-profit organization such as a school or a church.
An example of a foundation is a charity that helps feed hungry children.
- Foundation means the supporting structure of a home.
An example of a foundation is the slab of cement that a house rests on.
- The definition of foundation is the skin colored makeup used as a base on the face before other makeup is applied.
An example of foundation is the creamy liquid that a woman applies to her skin before any other makeup.
foundation definition by Webster's New World
- a founding or being founded; establishment
- an organization established to maintain, assist, or finance institutions or projects of a social, educational, charitable, religious, etc. nature, as by the making of grants
- the fund or endowment used by such an organization to carry out its programs
- an institution maintained by such a fund
- the base on which something rests; specif., the supporting part of a wall, house, etc., usually of masonry, concrete, etc., and at least partially underground
- the fundamental principle on which something is founded; basis
- a supporting material or part beneath an outer part
- foundation garment
- a cosmetic cream, liquid, etc. over which other makeup is applied
Origin: Middle English foundacioun ; from Old French fondation ; from Classical Latin fundatio ; from past participle of fundare: see found
- foundational adjective
foundation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of founding, especially the establishment of an institution with provisions for future maintenance.
- The basis on which a thing stands, is founded, or is supported. See Synonyms at base1.
- a. Funds for the perpetual support of an institution; an endowment.b. An institution founded and supported by an endowment.
- A foundation garment.
- A cosmetic base.
Origin: Middle English fundacioun, from Latin fundātiō, fundātiōn-, from fundātus, past participle of fundāre, to lay the groundwork for; see found 1.
- foun·daˈtion·al adjective
foundation - Legal Definition
foundation - Medical Definition