- The definition of a fund is a source or stock of something.
An example of a fund is a checking account.
- To fund is defined as to provide money for.
An example of to fund is to raise money for an 8th grade trip to D.C.
- a supply that can be drawn upon; stock; store: a fund of good humor
- a sum of money set aside for some particular purpose
- an organization that administers such a fund
- [pl.] money available for use, as in a checking account
- [pl.] the British national debt, regarded as stock held by investors: with the
Origin of fundClassical Latin fundus, bottom, land, estate ( from Indo-European an unverified form bhundhos from base an unverified form bhudh- from source bottom): meaning influenced, influence by French fond, stock, provision from same source
- to provide money for the payment of principal or interest on (a debt)
- to put or convert into a long-term debt that bears interest
- to put in a fund; accumulate
- to provide funds or funding for
- A source of supply; a stock: a fund of goodwill.
- a. A sum of money or other resources set aside for a specific purpose: a pension fund.b. funds Available money; ready cash: short on funds.
- An organization established to administer and manage a sum of money.
- funds The stock of the British permanent national debt, considered as public securities. Used with the.
transitive verbfund·ed, fund·ing, funds
- To provide funds for: funded the space program; a fully funded pension.
- To convert (short-term government debt) into a long-term or floating debt with fixed interest payments.
Origin of fundLatin fundus bottom, piece of land
- A sum or source of money.
- the fund of a bank, commercial house, manufacturing corporation, etc.
- a fund for the maintenance of underprivileged students
- An organization managing such money.
- A money-management operation, such as a mutual fund.
- Several major funds were declared insolvent recently.
- A large supply of something to be drawn upon.
- He drew on his immense fund of knowledge.
(third-person singular simple present funds, present participle funding, simple past and past participle funded)
- To pay for.