- The definition of a refund is an amount of money given back.
The $17 that was returned to you after you brought back a shirt that fit badly is an example of a refund.
- Refund is to give money back.
A company giving your money back on a defective toaster is an example of refund.
refund definition by Webster's New World
Origin: Middle English refunden ; from Middle French or L: Middle French refonder ; from Classical Latin refundere ; from re-, back plush fundere, to pour: see found
- refundable adjective
- to fund again or anew
- to use borrowed money, esp. the proceeds from the sale of a bond issue, to pay back (a loan) before or at maturity
- to replace (an old bond issue) with a new bond issue, often at a lower rate of interest
Origin: re- plush fund
refund definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb re·fund·ed, re·fund·ing, re·funds verb, transitive
- A repayment of funds.
- An amount repaid.
Origin: Middle English refunden, from Old French refunder, from Latin refundere : re-, re- + fundere, to pour; see gheu- in Indo-European roots.
- re·fundˈa·ble adjective
- re·fundˈer noun
- re·fundˈment noun
refund - Business Definition
- To retire securities with the funds that have been raised through the sale of a new security issue. Refunding usually occurs after a period of falling interest rates, when firms issue new debt in order to retire existing debt having high coupon rates of interest. Also called refinance. See also call provision, nonrefundable 1, prerefunded bond.
- To return money to a customer who returns a good or is dissatisfied with a purchase.
- To return to a taxpayer excess taxes that have been paid.
refund - Investment & Finance Definition
To replace debt before the original maturity date by issuing refunding bonds.