a. The act or condition of going, coming, bringing, or sending back.
b. The act of bringing or sending something back to a previous place, condition, or owner.
a. Something brought or sent back.
b. returns Merchandise returned, as to a retailer by a consumer or to a wholesaler by a retailer.
c. Something that goes or comes back.
- A recurrence, as of a periodic occasion or event: the return of spring.
- Something exchanged for that received; repayment.
- A reply; a response.
a. The profit made on an exchange of goods.
b. A profit or yield, as from labor or investments. Often used in the plural.
c. Output or yield per unit rather than cost per unit, as in the manufacturing of a particular product.
a. A report, list, or set of statistics, especially one that is formal or official.
b. A report on the vote in an election. Often used in the plural.
c. Chiefly British An election.
- Games A lead in certain card games that responds to the lead of one's partner.
- Sports In tennis and certain other sports:
a. The act of sending the ball back to one's opponent.
b. The ball thus sent back.
a. The act of running back the ball after a kickoff, punt, interception, or fumble.
b. The yardage so gained.
a. The extension of a molding, projection, or other part at an angle (usually 90°) to the main part.
b. A part of a building set at an angle to the façade.
a. A turn, bend, or similar reversal of direction, as in a stream or road.
b. A pipe or conduit for carrying something, especially water, back to its starting point.
- The key or mechanism on a machine, such as a typewriter or computer, that positions the carriage, cursor, or printing element at the beginning of a new line.
- Chiefly British A roundtrip ticket.
a. The bringing or sending back of a writ, subpoena, or other document, generally with a short written report on it, by a sheriff or other officer to the court from which it was issued.
b. A certified report by an assessor, election officer, collector, or other official.
- A formal tax statement on the required official form indicating taxable income, allowed deductions, exemptions, and the computed tax that is due. Also called income tax return, tax return.