- to go or come back, as to a former place, condition, practice, opinion, etc.
- to go back in thought or speech: to return to the subject
- to revert to a former owner
- to answer; reply; retort
ME retournen < OFr retourner: see re- & turn
- a coming or going back, as to a former place, condition, etc.
- a bringing, sending, carrying, or putting back; restoration or replacement
- something returned
- unsold merchandise returned to the distributor by a retailer or merchandise returned to a retailer by a purchaser
- a coming back again; reappearance; recurrence: many happy returns of the day
- something done or given as an equivalent for that received; repayment; requital; reciprocation
- profit made on an exchange of goods
- yield, profit, or revenue, as from labor, investments, etc.
- yield per unit as compared to cost per unit; rate of yield
- an answer; reply; retort
- a report; esp.,
- an official or formal report, as of the financial condition of a company
- a report on a count of votes at polling places: election returns
- a form on which taxable income is reported and tax is computed
- the continuation, as of a molding, colonnade, etc., in a different direction, often at a right angle
- a bend or turn, as in a line, wall, etc.
- the section between two such bends
- Card Games a lead in response to one's partner's lead
- the bringing or sending back of a writ, subpoena, summons, etc. to the proper court or official
- a certified report by an election official, assessor, etc.
- a certificate or report endorsed on any such document
- a hitting or throwing back of a ball
- a ball so returned
- a running back of a football received on a kick or by an interception
ME retorn < the v.