(third-person singular simple present throws away, present participle throwing away, simple past threw away, past participle thrown away)
- To discard (trash, garbage, or the like), to toss out, to put in the trash, to dispose of.
- He wanted to throw away the cup, but he couldn't find a trash can.
- Don't throw the newspaper away, it goes in the recycle bin!
- (figuratively) To waste, to squander.
- Voting for a third-party candidate sometimes feels like throwing your vote away.
- The team threw away its chance at the semifinals.