To discard is defined as to get rid of something or throw something away.verb
- When you throw out trash, this is an example of a time when you discard the trash.
- When you get rid of a card that is in your hand during a game of poker, this is an example of a time when you discard the card.
- Card Games
- to remove (a card or cards) from one's hand
- to play (a card not a trump and not in the suit led) when holding no cards in the suit led
- to throw away, abandon, or get rid of as no longer valuable or useful
Origin: OFr descarter, prob. < des- + carte: see dis- & card
- a discarding or being discarded
- something discarded
- Card Games the card or cards discarded
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb dis·card·ed, dis·card·ing, dis·cards verb, transitive
- To throw away; reject.
- a. To throw out (a playing card) from one's hand.b. To play (a card other than a trump) from a suit different from that of the card led.
- a. The act of discarding in a card game.b. A discarded playing card.
- One that is discarded or rejected.
- dis·cardˈa·ble adjective
- dis·cardˈer noun