- Request is defined as the act of asking for something or something you asked for.
An example of request is the song someone asked a band to play.
- Request means to ask for something.
An example of request is to ask for a menu in a restaurant.
- the act of asking, or expressing a desire, for something; solicitation or petition
- something asked for: to grant a request
- the state of being asked for or wanted; demand: a song much in request
Origin of requestMiddle English ; from Old French requeste ; from Medieval Latin requesta ; from feminine past participle of Vulgar Latin an unverified form requaerere: see require
- to express a wish or desire for; ask for, esp. in a polite or formal way: often followed by an infinitive or by a clause beginning with that
- to ask (a person) to do something
transitive verbre·quest·ed, re·quest·ing, re·quests
- To express a desire for, especially politely; ask for. Often used with an infinitive or clause: requested information about the experiment; requested to see the evidence firsthand; requested that the bus driver stop at the next corner.
- To ask (a person) to do something: The police requested her to accompany them.
- An act of asking for something.
- Something asked for: wasn't happy until he got his request.
Origin of requestFrom Middle English requeste, the act of requesting, from Old French, from Vulgar Latin *(r&emacron;s) requaesita, (thing) requested, from alteration of Latin requ&imacron;s&imacron;ta, feminine past participle of requ&imacron;rere, to ask for; see require.
(third-person singular simple present requests, present participle requesting, simple past and past participle requested)
- to express the need or desire for
- to ask somebody to do something
From Old French requeste (French: requÃªte), from Vulgar Latin *requÃ¦sita, from Latin requisita, feminine of requisitus (“requested, demanded"), past participle of requÄ«rÅ (“require, ask").