Every time Mark orders french fries at a restaurant, he requests mayonnaise as a dipping sauce too.
- Request is defined as the act of asking for something or something you asked for.
An example of request is the song someone asked a band to play.
- Request means to ask for something.
An example of request is to ask for a menu in a restaurant.
- the act of asking, or expressing a desire, for something; solicitation or petition
- something asked for: to grant a request
- the state of being asked for or wanted; demand: a song much in request
Origin of requestMiddle English from Old French requeste from Medieval Latin requesta from feminine past participle of Vulgar Latin an unverified form requaerere: see require
- to express a wish or desire for; ask for, esp. in a polite or formal way: often followed by an infinitive or by a clause beginning with that
- to ask (a person) to do something
transitive verbre·quest·ed, re·quest·ing, re·quests
- To express a desire for, especially politely; ask for. Often used with an infinitive or clause: requested information about the experiment; requested to see the evidence firsthand; requested that the bus driver stop at the next corner.
- To ask (a person) to do something: The police requested her to accompany them.
- An act of asking for something.
- Something asked for: wasn't happy until he got his request.
Origin of requestFrom Middle English requeste the act of requesting from Old French from Vulgar Latin (rēs) requaesita (thing) requested from alteration of Latin requīsīta feminine past participle of requīrere to ask for ; see require .
(third-person singular simple present requests, present participle requesting, simple past and past participle requested)
- to express the need or desire for
- to ask somebody to do something
From Old French requeste (French: requÃªte), from Vulgar Latin *requÃ¦sita, from Latin requisita, feminine of requisitus (“requested, demanded"), past participle of requÄ«rÅ (“require, ask").