Jocelyn immediately sent an email reply to confirm that she would be attending her cousin's wedding.
- The definition of a reply is a written or verbal response to something.
An example of a reply is an answer to a question.
- Reply is defined as to speak or write a response to something.
An example of to reply is to RSVP to a wedding.
intransitive verb-·plied′, -·ply′ing
- to answer, or respond, in speech or writing
- to respond by some action: to reply to the enemy's fire with a barrage
- to echo
- Law to answer a defendant's plea
Origin of replyMiddle English replyen from Old French replier from Classical Latin replicare, to fold back, make a reply from re-, back + plicare, to fold: see ply
- an answer, or response, in speech or writing
- a response by some action
- Law the plaintiff's answer to the defendant's plea; specif., the answer to a counterclaim
verbre·plied, re·ply·ing, re·plies
- To speak or write as a reaction to a question or other prompting.
- To act in reaction or as a response: The enemy's bigs guns replied to the salvo. See Synonyms at answer.
- Law To respond to the defendant's answer or plea.
- A word or a series of words spoken or written in reaction, as to a question or request.
- An act made in reaction or response.
- Law A plaintiff's response to the defendant's answer or plea, especially with regard to counterclaims made by the defendant.
Origin of replyMiddle English replien from Old French replier from Latin replicāre to fold back ; see replicate .
(third-person singular simple present replies, present participle replying, simple past and past participle replied)
- (intransitive) To give a written or spoken response, especially to a question, request, accusation or criticism; to answer.
- (intransitive) Please reply to my letter.
- "Sorry I'm late," replied the student.
- He replied that he was not sure.
- (intransitive) To act or gesture in response.
- Joanne replied to Pete's insult with a slap to his face.
- (intransitive) To repeat something back; to echo.
@reply - Computer Definition
reply - Legal Definition