- The definition of a reply is a written or verbal response to something.
An example of a reply is an answer to a question.
- Reply is defined as to speak or write a response to something.
An example of to reply is to RSVP to a wedding.
reply definition by Webster's New World
- to answer, or respond, in speech or writing
- to respond by some action: to reply to the enemy's fire with a barrage
- to echo
- Law to answer a defendant's plea
Origin: Middle English replyen ; from Old French replier ; from Classical Latin replicare, to fold back, make a reply ; from re-, back plush plicare, to fold: see ply
- an answer, or response, in speech or writing
- a response by some action
- Law the plaintiff's answer to the defendant's plea; specif., the answer to a counterclaim
- replier noun
reply definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb re·plied, re·ply·ing, re·plies verb, intransitive
- To give an answer in speech or writing.
- To respond by an action or gesture.
- To echo.
- To return gunfire or an attack: The big guns replied.
- Law To respond to a defendant's plea.
- A response in speech or writing.
- A response by an action or gesture.
- Law A plaintiff's formal response in answer to that of a defendant.
Origin: Middle English replien, from Old French replier, from Latin replicāre, to fold back; see replicate.
- re·pliˈer noun
reply - Computer Definition
reply - Legal Definition