- The definition of written is words put down so that they can be read.
An example of something written is a letter.
- Written is the past participle form of the word write.
An example of written is a book that an author created several years ago.
written definition by Webster's New World
written definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Variant of write
- to form or inscribe (words, letters, symbols, etc.) on a surface, as by cutting, carving, embossing, or, esp., marking with a pen or pencil
- to form the words, letters, or symbols of with pencil, chalk, typewriter, etc.; put down in a form to be read: to write a paragraph, a formula, etc.
- to form or inscribe (words) in cursive style
- to spell (a name, word, etc.): words written alike are often pronounced differently
- to know (a specific alphabet, language, etc.) well enough to communicate in writing
- to be the author or composer of (literary or musical material)
- to draw up or compose in legal form
- to fill in (a check, money order, etc.) with necessary writing
- to cover with writing: to write three pages
- to communicate in writing: he wrote that he would be late
- to communicate with in writing; write a letter or note to: write her before you go
- to entitle or designate in writing: he writes himself “Judge”
- to underwrite
- to leave marks, signs, or evidence of; show clearly: greed was written on his face
- Comput. to record (information) in a computer's memory or on a tape, etc. for use by a computer: to write a file to a disk
Origin: Middle English writen ; from Old English writan, to scratch, engrave, write, akin to German reissen, to tear ; from Indo-European base an unverified form wer-, to tear off, scratch from source Classical Greek rhinē, a rasp
- to form or inscribe words, letters, symbols, etc. on a surface, esp. by making marks with a pen or pencil
- to form words in cursive style
- to write books or other literary matter; be an author or writer
- to write a letter or letters
- to be employed at written work, as a clerk, copyist, etc.
- to produce writing of a specified kind: to write legibly, a pen that writes scratchily