- Of or relating to writing; written.
- often Scriptural Of, relating to, based on, or contained in the Scriptures.
- scripˈtur·al·ly adverb
Variant of scripture
- Obsolete anything written
- a Bible passage
- any sacred writing or books
- any writing regarded as authoritative and inviolable
- the sacred writings of the Jews, identical with the Old Testament of the Christians
- the Christian Bible; Old and New Testaments
Origin: Middle English from Classical Latin scriptura, a writing, inch(es) LL(Ec), a Scripture, passage of Scripture from scriptus: see script
- scriptural adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.