- The definition of a doodle is a casual or rough drawing made without much thought.
A little picture of a house you made on the back of a napkin without a lot of thought going into it is an example of a doodle.
- Doodle is defined as to casually scribble or draw.
If you make circles with your pen aimlessly during a boring lecture, this is an example of when you doodle.
A man doodles during a meeting.
doodle definition by Webster's New World
- to move aimlessly or foolishly; dawdle
- ☆ to scribble or draw aimlessly or nervously, esp. when the attention is elsewhere; make doodles
- ☆ Informal to play music in a casual, informal way
Origin: German dudeln, to play (the bagpipe), hence to trifle, dawdle (; from Polish dudlić ; from dudy, a bagpipe ; from Turkish duduk, a flute); reinforced by echoic tootle and amp; dawdle
- doodler noun
doodle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb doo·dled, doo·dling, doo·dles verb, intransitive
- To scribble aimlessly, especially when preoccupied.
- To kill time.
Origin: English dialectal, to fritter away time, perhaps from doodle, fool; see doodlebug.
- dooˈdler noun