- The definition of a sketch is a rough design without much detail.
An example of sketch is what a clothing designer creates before starting on the actual garment.
- Sketch is defined as to create rough, undetailed drawings.
An example of sketch is for a designer to create a simple drawing of a garment he plans to sew.
A fashion designer works on a sketch.
- a simple, rough drawing or design, done rapidly and without much detail
- a brief plan or description of major parts or points; outline
- a short, light, informal story, description, play, skit, or piece of music
Origin of sketchearlier schitz ; from Dutch schets ; from Italian schizzo ; from Classical Latin schedium, extempore poem ; from Classical Greek schedios, extempore, sudden ; from schein, to hold: see scheme
- A hasty or undetailed drawing or painting often made as a preliminary study.
- A brief general account or presentation; an outline.
- a. A brief, light, or informal literary composition, such as an essay or a short story.b. Music A brief composition, especially for the piano.c. A short, often satirical scene or play in a revue or variety show; a skit.
- Informal An amusing person.
verbsketched, sketch·ing, sketch·es
Origin of sketchDutch schets, from Italian schizzo, from schizzare, to splash, of imitative origin.
(third-person singular simple present sketches, present participle sketching, simple past and past participle sketched)
- To make a brief, basic drawing.
- I usually sketch with a pen rather than a pencil.
- To describe briefly and with very few details.
- He sketched the accident, sticking to the facts as they had happened.
- A rapidly executed freehand drawing that is not intended as a finished work, often consisting of a multitude of overlapping lines.
- A rough design, plan, or draft, as a rough draft of a book.
- A brief description of a person or account of an incident; a general presentation or outline.
- A brief, light, or unfinished dramatic, musical, or literary work or idea; eg. a short, often humorous or satirical scene or play, frequently as part of a revue or variety show, a skit; or, a brief musical composition or theme, especially for the piano; or, a brief, light, or informal literary composition, such as an essay or short story.
- (informal) An amusing person.
- (slang, Ireland) Keeping sketch: to keep a lookout.