- The definition of a sketch is a rough design without much detail.
An example of sketch is what a clothing designer creates before starting on the actual garment.
- Sketch is defined as to create rough, undetailed drawings.
An example of sketch is for a designer to create a simple drawing of a garment he plans to sew.
A fashion designer works on a sketch.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a simple, rough drawing or design, done rapidly and without much detail
- a brief plan or description of major parts or points; outline
- a short, light, informal story, description, play, skit, or piece of music
Origin: earlier schitz from Dutch schets from Italian schizzo from Classical Latin schedium, extempore poem from Glassical Greek schedios, extempore, sudden from schein, to hold: see scheme
- sketcher noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A hasty or undetailed drawing or painting often made as a preliminary study.
- A brief general account or presentation; an outline.
- a. A brief, light, or informal literary composition, such as an essay or a short story.b. Music A brief composition, especially for the piano.c. A short, often satirical scene or play in a revue or variety show; a skit.
- Informal An amusing person.
Origin: Dutch schets, from Italian schizzo, from schizzare, to splash, of imitative origin.
- sketchˈer noun