- The definition of adumbrate is to suggest beforehand or to vaguely foreshadow.
An example of adumbrate is to introduce minor clues into the text of a murder mystery novel.
adumbrate definition by Webster's New World
adumbrate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb ad·um·brat·ed, ad·um·brat·ing, ad·um·brates
- To give a sketchy outline of.
- To prefigure indistinctly; foreshadow.
- To disclose partially or guardedly.
- To overshadow; shadow or obscure.
Origin: Latin adumbrāre, adumbrāt-, to represent in outline : ad-, ad- + umbra, shadow.
- adˌum·braˈtion noun
- ad·umˈbra·tive adjective
- ad·umˈbra·tive·ly adverb