- The definition of adumbrate is to suggest beforehand or to vaguely foreshadow.
An example of adumbrate is to introduce minor clues into the text of a murder mystery novel.
transitive verbad·um·brat·ed, ad·um·brat·ing, ad·um·brates
- To give a sketchy outline of.
- To prefigure indistinctly; foreshadow.
- To disclose partially or guardedly.
- To overshadow; shadow or obscure.
Origin of adumbrateLatin adumbrāre, adumbrāt-, to represent in outline : ad-, ad- + umbra, shadow.
(third-person singular simple present adumbrates, present participle adumbrating, simple past and past participle adumbrated)
Latin adumbrātus "represented in outline", from adumbrāre "cast a shadow on", from umbra "shadow".