- The definition of a chart is a graph, table or diagram, or a map for air or marine navigation.
An example of a chart is the percentiles showing the growth of babies nationwide.
- a map, esp. one prepared for use in marine or air navigation
- an outline map on which special information, as on weather conditions or economic resources, is plotted geographically
- a group of facts about something, set up in the form of a diagram, table, graph, etc.
- such a diagram or graph
- a sheet with such diagrams, graphs, etc.
- ☆ Informal
- an arrangement of a musical composition, as for a jazz band
- a list of the best-selling recordings for a given period: usually used in pl.
Origin: Old French ; from Midieval Latin carta: see card
- to make a chart of; map; outline
- to plot (a course) on, or by reference to, a chart or charts
- to plan (a course of action)
- to show by, on, or as by a chart
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A map showing coastlines, water depths, or other information of use to navigators.
- An outline map on which specific information, such as scientific data, can be plotted.
- A sheet presenting information in the form of graphs or tables.
- See graph1.
- A listing of best-selling recorded music or other items. Often used in the plural: A hit single that reached number 3 on the charts.
- To make a chart of.
- To plan (something) in detail: is charting a course to destruction.
Origin: Obsolete French charte, from Latin charta, sheet of paper made from papyrus; see card1.
chart - Business Definition
chart - Investment & Finance Definition
chart - Medical Definition
- A recording, in tabular form, of clinical data relating to a case.
- A group of symbols of graduated size for measuring visual acuity.