- The definition of calendar is any person or thing that is on a printed schedule of the year.
An example of calendar used as an adjective is a calendar girl.
- A calendar is the order that divides a year into days, weeks and months.
An example of a calendar is the Mayan calendar.
- A calendar is defined as a printed or electronic version of a standard division of a year into months, weeks, and days.
An example of a calendar is a 12-month 2012 calendar with cats on it.
- To calendar means to schedule things.
An example of to calendar is to meet with coworkers to schedule a project’s major deadlines.
A desktop calendar showing the month of June.
calendar definition by Webster's New World
- a system of determining the beginning, length, and divisions of a year and for arranging the year into days, weeks, and months
- a table, chart, register, etc. that shows such an arrangement, usually for a single year
- a list or schedule, as of pending court cases, bills coming before a legislature, planned social events, etc.
Origin: Middle English calender ; from Classical Latin kalendarium, account book ; from kalendae, calends
calendar definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various systems of reckoning time in which the beginning, length, and divisions of a year are defined.
- A table showing the months, weeks, and days in at least one specific year.
- A schedule of events.
- An ordered list of matters to be considered: a calendar of court cases; the bills on a legislative calendar.
- Chiefly British A catalog of a university.
Origin: Middle English calender, from Old French calendier, from Late Latin kalendārium, from Latin, account book, from kalendae, calends (from the fact that monthly interest was due on the calends); see kelə-2 in Indo-European roots.
Three Principal Calendars
The Gregorian calendar is now in use as the civil calendar throughout most of the world. The Jewish calendar is the official calendar of the Jewish religious community. The Islamic calendar is the official calendar in many Muslim countries. Each calendar listed below begins with the first month of the year and includes the number of days each month contains. Many months have a variable number of days, as described below.
|Months||Number of Days||Months||Number of Days||Months||Number of Days|
|January||31||Tishri||(Sep-Oct)||30||Muharram||29 or 30|
|February||28 or 29||Heshvan||(Oct-Nov)||29 or 30||Safar||29 or 30|
|March||31||Kislev||(Nov-Dec)||29 or 30||Rabi I||29 or 30|
|April||30||Tevet||(Dec-Jan)||30||Rabi II||29 or 30|
|May||31||Shevat||(Jan-Feb)||30||Jumada I||29 or 30|
|June||30||Adar||(Feb-Mar)||29 or 30||Jumada II||29 or 30|
|July||31||Adar Sheni||(leap year only)||29||Rajab||29 or 30|
|August||31||Nisan||(Mar-Apr)||30||Shaעban||29 or 30|
|September||30||Iyar||(Apr-May)||29||Ramadan||29 or 30|
|October||31||Sivan||(May-Jun)||30||Shawwal||29 or 30|
|November||30||Tammuz||(Jun-Jul)||29||Dhuאl-Qaעdah||29 or 30|
|December||31||Av||(Jul-Aug)||30||Dhuאl-Hijjah||29 or 30|
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company
calendar - Ologies & -Isms Definition
calendar - Business Definition
calendar - Investment & Finance Definition
calendar - Legal Definition