- The definition of a diagram is a graph, chart, drawing or plan that explains something by showing how the parts relate to each other.
An example of diagram is a chart showing how all the departments within an organization are related.
A person creating a diagram.
diagram definition by Webster's New World
- a geometric figure, used to illustrate a mathematical statement, proof, etc.
- a sketch, drawing, or plan that explains a thing by outlining its parts and their relationships, workings, etc.
- a chart or graph explaining or illustrating ideas, statistics, etc.
Origin: Classical Greek diagramma ; from diagraphein, to mark out by lines, draw ; from dia- (see dia-) plush graphein, to write (see graphic)
diagram definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A plan, sketch, drawing, or outline designed to demonstrate or explain how something works or to clarify the relationship between the parts of a whole.
- Mathematics A graphic representation of an algebraic or geometric relationship.
- A chart or graph.
Origin: Latin diagramma, figure, from Greek, a figure worked out by lines, plan, from diagraphein, to mark out, delineate : dia-, dia- + graphein, to write; see gerbh- in Indo-European roots.
- diˈa·gramˌma·ble adjective
- diˌa·gram·matˈic , diˌa·gram·matˈi·cal adjective
- diˌa·gram·matˈi·cal·ly adverb