- The definition of a layout is an arrangement, plan or design.
An example of a layout is a drawing of how a house will be built.
layout definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act or process of laying something out
- the manner in which anything is laid out; arrangement; specif., the plan or makeup of a newspaper, book page, advertisement, etc.
- the thing laid out
- the art or process of arranging type, illustrations, etc. in an advertisement, newspaper, etc.
- an outfit or set, as of tools
- Informal a residence, factory, etc., esp. when large and complex
layout definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or an instance of laying out.
- An arrangement or a plan, especially the schematic arrangement of parts or areas: the layout of a factory; the layout of a printed circuit.
- Printing a. The art or process of arranging printed or graphic matter on a page.b. The overall design of a page, spread, or book, including elements such as page and type size, typeface, and the arrangement of titles and page numbers.c. A page or set of pages marked to indicate this design.
- Sports The straight position, as in diving.
- Informal An establishment or property, especially a large residence or estate: “[Her] show horses . . . were kept on the couple's one-and-a-half acre Malibu layout” (People).