- The definition of a design is a plan or something created, often in art or fashion.
An example of design is a plaid pattern on a pair of pants.
- Design is defined as to prepare or plan something.
An example of design is to create a wedding invitation.
design definition by Webster's New World
- to make preliminary sketches of; sketch a pattern or outline for; plan
- to plan and carry out, esp. by artistic arrangement or in a skillful way
- to form (plans, etc.) in the mind; contrive
- to plan to do; purpose; intend
- to intend or set apart for some purpose
Origin: Middle English designen ; from Classical Latin designare, to mark out, define ; from de-, out, from plush signare, to mark ; from signum, a mark, sign
- to make designs
- to make original plans, sketches, patterns, etc.; work as a designer
- a plan; scheme; project
- purpose; intention; aim
- a thing planned for or outcome aimed at
- development according to a plan: to find a design in history
- a secret, usually dishonest or selfish scheme: often with on or upon: to have designs on another's property
- a plan or sketch to work from; pattern: a design for a house
- the art of making designs or patterns
- the arrangement of parts, details, form, color, etc. so as to produce an artistic unit; artistic invention: the design of a rug
- a finished artistic work or decoration
Origin: Fr dessein < It disegno < disignare < L designare
design definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb de·signed, de·sign·ing, de·signs verb, transitive
- a. To conceive or fashion in the mind; invent: design a good excuse for not attending the conference.b. To formulate a plan for; devise: designed a marketing strategy for the new product.
- To plan out in systematic, usually graphic form: design a building; design a computer program.
- To create or contrive for a particular purpose or effect: a game designed to appeal to all ages.
- To have as a goal or purpose; intend.
- To create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner.
- To make or execute plans.
- To have a goal or purpose in mind.
- To create designs.
- a. A drawing or sketch.b. A graphic representation, especially a detailed plan for construction or manufacture.
- The purposeful or inventive arrangement of parts or details: the aerodynamic design of an automobile; furniture of simple but elegant design.
- The art or practice of designing or making designs.
- Something designed, especially a decorative or an artistic work.
- An ornamental pattern. See Synonyms at figure.
- A basic scheme or pattern that affects and controls function or development: the overall design of an epic poem.
- A plan; a project. See Synonyms at plan.
- a. A reasoned purpose; an intent: It was her design to set up practice on her own as soon as she was qualified.b. Deliberate intention: He became a photographer more by accident than by design.
- A secretive plot or scheme. Often used in the plural: He has designs on my job.
Origin: Middle English designen, from Latin dēsignāre, to designate; see designate.
- de·signˈa·ble adjective
design - Phrases/Idioms