- The definition of contemplate is to look at something, think about something or meditate about something for a long time.
If you sit around for a long time thinking about what will happen if you die, this is an example of when youcontemplate death.
- to look at intently; gaze at
- to think about intently; study carefully
- to have in mind as a possibility or plan; intend
Origin: ; from Classical Latin contemplatus, past participle of contemplari, to gaze attentively, observe (orig., inch(es) augury, to mark out space for observation ; from com-, intensive plush templum, temple
- contemplator noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb con·tem·plat·ed, con·tem·plat·ing, con·tem·plates verb, transitive
- To look at attentively and thoughtfully. See Synonyms at see1.
- To consider carefully and at length; meditate on or ponder: contemplated the problem from all sides; contemplated the mystery of God.
- To have in mind as an intention or possibility: contemplate marriage; forced by the accident to contemplate retirement.
Origin: Latin contemplārī, contemplāt- : com-, intensive pref.; see com- + templum, space for observing auguries; see tem- in Indo-European roots.
- conˈtem·plaˌtor noun