- The definition of a decoration is an item used to make a room or thing more beautiful, or a medal given as an awarding.
- An example of a decoration is putting a jack-o-lantern on a porch to show your love of Halloween.
- An example of a decoration is a medal awarded to a military officer.
Holiday decorations brighten a table.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the act of decorating
- anything used for decorating; ornament
- a medal, badge, or similar token of honor
Origin: Middle English decoracioun ; from Old French decoration ; from Midieval Latin decoratio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act, process, technique, or art of decorating.
- Something used to decorate.
- An emblem of honor, such as a medal or badge.