- The definition of a medallion is a large medal, or an oval-shaped decorative item.
A large round pendant is an example of a medallion.
A dragon image on a medallion.
- a large medal
- an oval or circular design, portrait, relief carving, etc. resembling a medal in shape and used as a decorative form in architecture, textiles, etc.
- a metal insignia on a taxicab indicating that the driver or owner has a permit to carry passengers
- a small round or oval portion of meat or fish, especially of beef or veal
Origin of medallionFrench médaillon ; from Italian medaglione ; from medaglia: see medal
- A large medal.
- An emblem of registration for a taxicab.
- Any of various large ancient Greek coins.
- Something resembling a large medal, as:a. An oval or circular design used as decoration.b. A painting or an engraving set in an oval or circular frame.c. A circular portion of food, especially a boneless cut of meat: medallions of veal.
Origin of medallionFrench médaillon, from Italian medaglione, augmentative of medaglia, medal, from Old Italian; see medal.
- A large medal, usually decorative.
- A cut of meat resembling a medallion.
- (architecture) A round or oval frame (often made of Stucco) which contains a plastic or pictorial decoration of a facade, an interior, a piece of furniture or equipment.
- A circular certificate used in some places to register a vehicle, especially a taxicab.