- a string of beads, jewels, etc. or a chain of gold, silver, etc., worn around the neck as an ornament
- a gasoline-doused automobile tire draped around a person's neck or shoulders and set ablaze
Origin of necklaceneck + lace
transitive verb-·laced, -·lac·ing
to kill by means of a necklace (noun)
- An ornament worn around the neck.
- Something felt to resemble this neck ornament, as in shape: a necklace of hundreds of tiny islands.
- An article of jewelry that is worn around the neck, most often made of a string of precious metal, pearls, gems, beads or shells, and sometimes having a pendant attached.
- (figuratively) Anything resembling a necklace in shape.
- a necklace of coral islands
- (South Africa) A method of informal execution in which a rubber tyre is filled with petrol, placed around the victim's chest and arms, and set on fire.
(third-person singular simple present necklaces, present participle necklacing, simple past and past participle necklaced)