- a wreath or garland for the head
- a rosary consisting typically of five decades
- the prayers said with such beads
- any string of beads; necklace
- Archit. a small convex molding somewhat resembling a string of beads
Origin of chapletMiddle English and Old French chapelet, diminutive of chapel: see chapeau
- A wreath or garland for the head.
- Roman Catholic Church a. A string of beads resembling a rosary, used to count iterations in a devotional sequence of prayers.b. The sequence of prayers counted on such a string of beads.
- A string of beads.
- Architecture A small molding carved to resemble a string of beads.
Origin of chapletMiddle English chapelet from Old French diminutive of chapel hat, wreath ; see chapeau .
- A garland or circlet for the head.
- A string of beads, especially when making up five decades of the rosary.
- A moulding in the form of a string of beads; a bead-moulding.
- A small chapel or shrine.
- A bent piece of sheet iron, or a pin with thin plates on its ends, for holding a core in place in the mould.
- Alternative form of chapelet.
- A tuft of feathers on a peacock's head.
From Old French chapelet.