The definition of a wreath is an arrangement of flowers or other decorative objects that is in a ring shaped and used as decoration for walls and doors.noun
An example of a wreath is a ring made of evergreens and holly that you hang on your door when you decorate for Christmas.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
noun pl. wreaths
- a twisted band or ring of leaves, flowers, etc.; esp.,
- a chaplet worn as a mark of honor or victory
- a garland laid upon a grave or hung on a door, window, etc.
- something suggesting this in shape; twisted or circular band: wreaths of smoke
Origin: ME wrethe < OE writha, a ring, a twisted band < writhan, to twist: see writhe
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. wreaths wreaths
- a. A ring or circlet of flowers, boughs, or leaves worn on the head, placed on a memorial, or hung as a decoration.b. A representation of this ring or circlet, as in woodwork.
- A curling or circular form: a wreath of smoke.
Origin: Middle English wrethe, from Old English writha, band; see wer-2 in Indo-European roots.