Green olives on an olive tree.
olive definition by Webster's New World
- an evergreen tree (Olea europaea) of the olive family, native to S Europe and the Near East, with leathery leaves, yellow flowers, and an edible fruit
- the small, oval fruit of this tree, eaten green or ripe as a relish, or pressed to extract olive oil
- the wood of this tree
- any of various plants resembling the olive
- an olive branch or wreath
- the dull, yellowish-green color of the unripe olive fruit
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin oliva ; from Classical Greek elaia
- of the olive
- having a dark complexion tinged with this color
- designating a family (Oleaceae, order Scrophulariales) of dicotyledonous trees and shrubs with loose clusters of four-parted flowers, including the ashes, lilacs, jasmines, and forsythias
Origin: Middle English oliva ; from Classical Latin an olive
olive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A Mediterranean evergreen tree (Olea europaea) having fragrant white flowers, usually lance-shaped leathery leaves, and edible drupes.
- The small ovoid fruit of this tree, an important food and source of oil.
- A yellow green of low to medium lightness and low to moderate saturation.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin olīva, from Greek *elaiwā, elaiā.
- olˈive adjective
olive - Medical Definition