a feminine name
Origin of Bettyshortened and amp; altered ; from Elizabeth
- (slang, slightly pejorative) An attractive woman; a babe.
- A short bar used by thieves to wrench doors open; a jemmy.
- (archaic, derogatory) A man who interferes with the duties of women in a household, or who occupies himself with womanish matters.
- (US, archaic) A pear-shaped bottle covered with straw, in which olive oil is sometimes brought from Italy; a Florence flask.
From Betty (“nickname for "Elizabeth"”).
- A popular given name in the early 20th century, often in the form Betty Lou.