- The definition of a babe is an infant or young child, or someone who is innocent and has very little life experience, or it is a term of endearment which is similar to the word "sweetheart."
- A 2 month old and a 2 year old are each an example of a babe.
- A new waiter with no experience is an example of a babe.
- Your husband can be an example of a babe; "Can you pick me up after work, babe?"
- In slang, a babe is an attractive individual.
George Clooney is an example of someone who many people call a babe.
A cute little babe!
A cute little babe.
- a baby; infant
- a naive, gullible, or helpless personalso babe in the woods
- ☆ Slang a young woman, esp. an attractive one
Origin of babeME; similar or akin to Welsh baban, Albanian bebe, Middle High German babe, old woman, Lithuanian boba, mother: ultimately imitation of baby talk
- A baby; an infant.
- An innocent or naive person.
- Slang A young woman, especially one considered sexually attractive.
- Informal Sweetheart; dear. Used as a term of endearment.
Origin of babeMiddle English.
- abbe, abbé
From Middle English babe, perhaps a variant of earlier baban or representing Old English *baba (“boy, child”), from Proto-Germanic *babô, reduplicated variant of *ba-, *bō- (“father, brother, close male relation”), related to Old Frisian bobba (“child”), Swedish dialectal babbe (“little boy”), Old High German Babo (a male forename), see boy. Otherwise, origin obscure. Compare mama, dada, papa. Welsh baban (“baby”), believed by Skeat to be a mutated from maban diminutive of mab ("son"), is probably rather a borrowing from the English.