- a child
- an immature or childish girl
Origin: Middle English chitte, probably variant, variety of kitte, for kitten
- Chiefly Brit. a short note or letter; memorandum
- a voucher of a small sum owed for drink, food, etc.
Origin: ; from chitty ; from Hindi chiṭṭhi, letter, note ; from Sanskrit chitra, spot: see chintz
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A statement of an amount owed for food and drink; a check.
- A short letter; a note.
- A Brownie point: earned vital chits with his party by making fundraising speeches.
Origin: Obsolete chitty, from Hindi ciṭṭhī, note, letter, from Sanskrit *citrikā, *citritā, note.
- A child.
- A saucy girl or young woman.
Origin: Middle English, young animal.