nounpl. -·dums or -·da
- a short note written to help one remember something or remind one to do something
- a record of events or observations, esp. one for future use
- an informal written communication, as from one department to another in an office
- in diplomacy, a summary or outline of a subject under discussion, reasons for or against some action, etc.
- Business a statement, made by the consignor, of the goods and terms of a consignment sent with the privilege of return
- Law a short written statement of the terms of an agreement, contract, or transaction
Origin of memorandumMiddle English from Classical Latin neuter of memorandus, to be remembered, gerund, gerundive of memorare, to remember: see memory