- The definition of a diary is a datebook or journal where you record events, emotions, thoughts or feelings.
- The datebook where you keep track of appointments is an example of a diary.
- A journal you keep where you write down your feelings is an example of a diary.
A woman writing in her diary.
- a daily written record, esp. of the writer's own experiences, thoughts, etc.
- a book for keeping such a record
Origin of diaryClassical Latin diarium, daily allowance (of food or pay); hence, record of this ; from dies, day: see deity
- a. A usually daily written record of personal experiences and observations; a journal.b. A daily record of events or measurable phenomena, usually kept to track patterns over time: kept a diary of blood sugar levels.
- A book or computer file used for keeping such a record.
Origin of diaryLatin diārium, daily allowance, daily journal, from diēs, day; see dyeu- in Indo-European roots.
- (obsolete) Lasting for one day.