- The definition of a diary is a datebook or journal where you record events, emotions, thoughts or feelings.
- The datebook where you keep track of appointments is an example of a diary.
- A journal you keep where you write down your feelings is an example of a diary.
A woman writing in her diary.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a daily written record, esp. of the writer's own experiences, thoughts, etc.
- a book for keeping such a record
Origin: Classical Latin diarium, daily allowance (of food or pay); hence, record of this ; from dies, day: see deity
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. di·a·ries
- A daily record, especially a personal record of events, experiences, and observations; a journal.
- A book for use in keeping a personal record, as of experiences.
Origin: Latin diārium, daily allowance, daily journal, from diēs, day; see dyeu- in Indo-European roots.