- The definition of appointment means the act of choosing a person for a position or the process of giving the person that position.
An example of appointment is the President assigning an individual to the position of the Commissioner of the FDA.
- Appointment is defined as a meeting set at a specific time.
An example of the word appointment is when a time has been set to meet with a doctor on a specific date.
appointment definition by Webster's New World
- an appointing or being appointed; specif., a naming or selecting for an office, position, etc.
- a person so selected
- a position held in this way
- an arrangement to meet someone or be somewhere at a set time; engagement
- furniture; equipment
- Law the designation of beneficiaries and the assignment of property to them by an appointor
appointment definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of appointing or designating someone for an office or position.b. The office or position to which one has been appointed.
- An arrangement to do something or meet someone at a particular time and place. See Synonyms at engagement.
- appointments Furnishings, fittings, or equipment.
- Law The act of directing the disposition of property by virtue of a power granted for this purpose.
appointment - Legal Definition
- The appointment, designation, or placement of an individual in a job, office, or position, or to perform a duty.
- A job, office, position, or duty to which one has been appointed.
- The act of designating who will receive property pursuant to a power of appointment. See also power of appointment.