- Appointment is defined as a meeting set at a specific time.
An example of the word appointment is when a time has been set to meet with a doctor on a specific date.
- The definition of appointment means the act of choosing a person for a position or the process of giving the person that position.
An example of appointment is the President assigning an individual to the position of the Commissioner of the FDA.
- an appointing or being appointed; specif., a naming or selecting for an office, position, etc.
- a person so selected
- a position held in this way
- an arrangement to meet someone or be somewhere at a set time; engagement
- [pl.] furniture; equipment
- Law the designation of beneficiaries and the assignment of property to them by an appointor
- a. The act of appointing or designating someone for an office or position.b. The office or position to which one has been appointed.
- An arrangement to do something or meet someone at a particular time and place. See Synonyms at engagement.
- appointments Furnishings, fittings, or equipment.
- Law The act of directing the disposition of property by virtue of a power granted for this purpose.
- The act of appointing; designation of a person to hold an office or discharge a trust.
- He erred by the appointment of unsuitable men.
- The state of being appointed to a service or office; an office to which one is appointed; station; position.
- the appointment of treasurer
- Stipulation; agreement; the act of fixing by mutual agreement.
- An arrangement for a meeting; an engagement.
- They made an appointment to meet at six.
- I'm leaving work early because I have a doctor's appointment.
- Decree; direction; established order or constitution.
- To submit to the divine appointments.
- According to the appointment of the priests. --Ezra vi. 9.
- (Law) The exercise of the power of designating (under a power of appointment) a person to enjoy an estate or other specific property; also, the instrument by which the designation is made.
- (Government) The assignment of a person by an official to perform a duty, such as a presidential appointment of a judge to a court.
- (now in the plural) Equipment, furniture.
- (US) A honorary part or exercise, as an oration, etc., at a public exhibition of a college; as, to have an appointment.
From Middle French apointement (French appointement). See appoint.
appointment - Legal Definition
- The appointment, designation, or placement of an individual in a job, office, or position, or to perform a duty.
- A job, office, position, or duty to which one has been appointed.
- The act of designating who will receive property pursuant to a power of appointment. See also power of appointment.