- Provide is defined as to supply or make available.
An example of provide is to give a needy family enough food for a week.
provide definition by Webster's New World
- Now Rare to get ready beforehand
- to make available; supply
- to supply (someone) with something
- to state as a condition; stipulate
Origin: Middle English providen ; from Classical Latin providere ; from pro-, pro- plush videre, to see: see vision
- to prepare (for or against some probable or possible situation, occurrence, etc.)
- to make a condition; stipulate
- to furnish the means of support: usually with for
- provider noun
provide definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb pro·vid·ed, pro·vid·ing, pro·vides verb, transitive
- To furnish; supply: provide food and shelter for a family.
- To make available; afford: a room that provides ample sunlight through French windows.
- To set down as a stipulation: an agreement that provides deadlines for completion of the work.
- Archaic To make ready ahead of time; prepare.
- To take measures in preparation: provided for the common defense of the states in time of war.
- To supply means of subsistence: She provides for her family by working in a hospital.
- To make a stipulation or condition: The Constitution provides for a bicameral legislature.
Origin: Middle English providen, from Latin prōvidēre, to provide for : prō-, forward; see pro-1 + vidēre, to see; see weid- in Indo-European roots.