provided[prə vīd′id, prō-]
- Provided means if something happens.
An example of the use of provided as a conjunction is in the sentence, "You can go outside and play, provided you finish your homework on time," which means "You can go outside and play, if you finish your homework on time."
- Provided is defined as to have given something or help in the past.
An example of provided is to have stocked up an empty soup kitchen yesterday.
provided definition by Webster's New World
provided definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Variant of provide
- Now Rare to get ready beforehand
- to make available; supply
- to supply (someone) with something
- to state as a condition; stipulate
Origin: Middle English providen ; from Classical Latin providere ; from pro-, pro- plush videre, to see: see vision
- to prepare (for or against some probable or possible situation, occurrence, etc.)
- to make a condition; stipulate
- to furnish the means of support: usually with for
- provider noun