The provident woman always uses coupons when she shops.
- An example of something provident is a life insurance plan; provident financial planning.
- An example of someone provident is a woman who clips coupons to save money at the grocery store; provident woman.
The definition of provident is providing for the future, or being careful with money.
- providing for future needs or events; exercising or characterized by foresight
- prudent or economical
Origin of providentMiddle English from Classical Latin providens, present participle of providere: see provide
- Providing for future needs or events: “a shelter with bunks, springs only, intended for provident hikers who carried sleeping bags” ( Donald Hall )
- Frugal; economical: provident in spending money.
Origin of providentMiddle English from Latin prōvidēns prōvident- present participle of prōvidēre to provide for ; see provide .
(comparative more provident, superlative most provident)