- The definition of provident is providing for the future, or being careful with money.
- An example of something provident is a life insurance plan; provident financial planning.
- An example of someone provident is a woman who clips coupons to save money at the grocery store; provident woman.
- providing for future needs or events; exercising or characterized by foresight
- prudent or economical
Origin: Middle English from Classical Latin providens, present participle of providere: see provide
- providently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Providing for future needs or events.
- Frugal; economical.
Origin: Middle English, from Latin prōvidēns, prōvident-, present participle of prōvidēre, to provide for; see provide.
- provˈi·dent·ly adverb