- The definition of economical is something cost effective that is a good value, or someone who doesn't waste, or who is frugal and doesn't spend more than necessary.
- A cheap brand of cleaner that works really well and provides good value is an example of something that might be described as economical.
- A person who is careful with his money and who doesn't spend foolishly is an example of someone who is economical.
This compact fluorescent lightbulb is more economical than a regular lightbulb.
- not wasting money, time, fuel, etc.; thrifty: an economical person, an economical stove
- expressed or done with economy, as by using few words: an economical style
- of economics; economic
- Designed or functioning to make effective use of money or effort invested: an economical heating system; an economical approach to control of corporate growth.
- Prudent and thrifty in management; not wasteful or extravagant. See Synonyms at sparing.
- Sparing in the amount of items involved to achieve a desired result: an economical writing style; threw an economical 12 pitches in the first inning.
(comparative more economical, superlative most economical)
economic + -al