- The definition of prudent is someone who has good judgment and is careful and practical.
An example of prudent is someone who consults with a financial advisor before investing money.
prudent definition by Webster's New World
- capable of exercising sound judgment in practical matters, esp. as concerns one's own interests
- cautious or discreet in conduct; circumspect; not rash
- managing carefully and with economy
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin prudens, for providens: see provident
- prudently adverb
prudent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Wise in handling practical matters; exercising good judgment or common sense.
- Careful in regard to one's own interests; provident.
- Careful about one's conduct; circumspect.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin prūdēns, prūdent-, contraction of prōvidēns, present participle of prōvidēre, to provide for; see provide.
- pruˈdent·ly adverb
prudent - Legal Definition