- Prudence is defined as the act of being careful, often with money.
An example of prudence is checking your bank account before you spend money.
prudence definition by Webster's New World
- the quality or fact of being prudent
- careful management; economy
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin prudentia ; from prudens: see prudent
Origin: Late Latin feminine of Prudentius ; from Classical Latin prudentia: see prudence
prudence definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state, quality, or fact of being prudent.
- Careful management; economy.