- Prudence is defined as the act of being careful, often with money.
An example of prudence is checking your bank account before you spend money.
- the quality or fact of being prudent
- careful management; economy
Origin: Middle English from Middle French from Classical Latin prudentia from prudens: see prudent
Origin: LL, feminine of Prudentius from Classical Latin prudentia: see prudence
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The state, quality, or fact of being prudent.
- Careful management; economy.