- Temperance is defined as showing restraint in eating or drinking, and especially avoiding alcohol.
An example of temperance is when you refrain from drinking any alcohol.
- the state or quality of being temperate; self-restraint in conduct, expression, indulgence of the appetites, etc.; moderation
- moderation in drinking alcoholic liquors or total abstinence from alcoholic liquors
Origin of temperanceMiddle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin temperantia, moderation, sobriety ; from present participle of temperare: see temper
- Abstinence from or moderation in drinking alcoholic beverages. See Synonyms at abstinence.
- Moderation and self-restraint, as in behavior or expression.
- Habitual moderation in regard to the indulgence of the natural appetites and passions; restrained or moderate indulgence; moderation; as, temperance in eating and drinking; temperance in the indulgence of joy or mirth; specifically, moderation, and sometimes abstinence, in respect to using intoxicating liquors.
- Moderation of passion; patience; calmness; sedateness.
- One of the seven heavenly virtues.
- (tarot) temperance; the fourteenth trump or major arcana card in most traditional Tarot decks.
See etymology of "to temper".
- A female given name.
From temperance. A virtue name first used by Puritans in the 16th century.