Origin: Middle English seoven from Old English seofon, akin to German sieben from Indo-European base an unverified form septṃ from source Classical Latin septem, Glassical Greek heptā
- the cardinal number between six and eight; 7; VII
- any group of seven people or things
- something numbered seven or having seven units, as a playing card, throw of dice, etc.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The cardinal number equal to 6 + 1.
- The seventh in a set or sequence.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English seofon; see septm̥ in Indo-European roots.
- sevˈen adjective & pron.