- Sobriety is a serious state of mind, or when you are not affected by drugs, alcohol or other substances.
- An example of sobriety is your state of mind at a funeral.
- An example of sobriety is when you do not take drugs or consume alcohol.
- temperance or moderation, esp. in the use of alcoholic liquor
- seriousness; sedateness
Origin: Middle English sobrete from Old French sobriete from Classical Latin sobrietas from sobrius, sober
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Gravity in bearing, manner, or treatment.
- Moderation in or abstinence from consumption of alcoholic liquor or use of drugs: “three years of drug-free sobriety” (Ron Rosenbaum). See Synonyms at abstinence.
Origin: Middle English sobriete, from Old French, from Latin sōbrietās, from sōbrius, sober; see sober.