- Solemnity is a serious feeling or tone for a ceremony or occasion.
An example of a solemnity is a funeral mass.
- solemn ceremony, ritual, observance, etc.
- solemn feeling, character, or appearance; serious or awesome quality; gravity
- Law the formality needed to validate an act, contract, etc.
Origin: Middle English solempnete from Old French solempneté from Classical Latin sollemnitas
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. so·lem·ni·ties
- The quality or condition of being solemn.
- A solemn observance or proceeding.