- Solemnity is a serious feeling or tone for a ceremony or occasion.
An example of a solemnity is a funeral mass.
- solemn ceremony, ritual, observance, etc.
- solemn feeling, character, or appearance; serious or awesome quality; gravity
- Law the formality needed to validate an act, contract, etc.
Origin of solemnityMiddle English solempnete ; from Old French solempneté ; from Classical Latin sollemnitas
- The quality or condition of being solemn.
- A solemn observance or proceeding.
- The quality of being deeply serious and sober or solemn.
- the solemnity of a funeral
- An instance or example of solemn behavior; a rite or ceremony performed with reverence.
- (law) A solemn or formal observance; proceeding according to due form; the formality which is necessary to render a thing done valid.