An example of a solemnity is a funeral mass.
- solemn ceremony, ritual, observance, etc.
- solemn feeling, character, or appearance; serious or awesome quality; gravity
- Law the formality needed to validate an act, contract, etc.
Origin of solemnityMiddle English solempnete from Old French solempneté from Classical Latin sollemnitas
- The quality or condition of being solemn.
- A solemn observance or proceeding.
- The quality of being deeply serious and sober or solemn.
- the solemnity of a funeral
- An instance or example of solemn behavior; a rite or ceremony performed with reverence.
- (law) A solemn or formal observance; proceeding according to due form; the formality which is necessary to render a thing done valid.
Middle English solemnity (“observance of formality and ceremony"), frequently in the phrases in solemnity, with solemnity, which from Old French solemnite, from Latin sollemnitÄs, from sollemnis. (Compare solemn.)