- a formal act or set of formal acts established by custom or authority as proper to a special occasion, such as a wedding, religious rite, etc.
- the service or function at which such acts are performed
- a conventionally courteous or polite act
- behavior that follows rigid etiquette or a prescribed form
- formality or formalities
- empty or meaningless formality, or an act suggesting this
Origin of ceremonyMiddle English cerimonie from Classical Latin caerimonia, awe, reverent rite, ceremony; probably from Etruscan
stand on ceremony