- The definition of a wedding is a ceremony in which two people get married.
When you marry your husband, this is an example of a wedding.
A couple exchange rings at their wedding.
wedding definition by Webster's New World
- the act or ceremony of becoming married; marriage
- the marriage ceremony with its attendant festivities
- an anniversary of a marriage: a golden wedding
- a joining together
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English weddung ; from weddian: see wed
wedding definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of marrying.b. The ceremony or celebration of a marriage.
- The anniversary of a marriage: a silver wedding.
- The act or an instance of joining closely: a wedding of ideas.
wedding - Phrases/Idioms
Variant of wed
- to marry; specif.,
- to take as husband or wife
- to conduct the marriage ceremony for; join in wedlock
- to unite or join closely: a project that weds science and art
Origin: Middle English wedden ; from Old English weddian, literally , to pledge, engage ; from wed, a pledge, akin to German wetten, to pledge, wager ; from Indo-European base an unverified form wadh-, a pledge, to redeem a pledge from source Classical Latin vas (gen. vadis), a pledge