- The definition of a divorce is a legal ending to a marriage.
An example of divorce is the end of a marriage after a husband and wife have signed papers to dissolve their marriage.
- Divorce is defined as to legally dissolve a marriage.
An example of divorce is a wife telling her husband she wants to end their marriage.
divorce definition by Webster's New World
- legal and formal dissolution of a marriage
- any complete separation or disunion
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin divortium ; from divortere, variant, variety of divertere, to turn different ways: see diverse
- to dissolve legally a marriage between; separate by divorce
- to dissolve the marriage with (one's spouse)
- to separate; disunite
divorce definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The legal dissolution of a marriage.
- A complete or radical severance of closely connected things.
- To dissolve the marriage bond between.
- To end marriage with (one's spouse) by way of legal divorce.
- To cut off; separate or disunite: an idea that was completely divorced from reality. See Synonyms at separate.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin dīvortium, from dīvortere, to divert, variant of dīvertere; see divert.
Origin: French, masculine past participle of divorcer, to divorce, from Old French, from divorce, divorce; see divorce.
divorce - Legal Definition
- The termination of a marriage by court order; the state of having terminated a marriage.
- To terminate a marriage to someone by obtaining a court order, usually referred to as a divorce decree.