- The definition of a divorce is a legal ending to a marriage.
An example of divorce is the end of a marriage after a husband and wife have signed papers to dissolve their marriage.
- Divorce is defined as to legally dissolve a marriage.
An example of divorce is a wife telling her husband she wants to end their marriage.
- legal and formal dissolution of a marriage
- any complete separation or disunion
Origin of divorceMiddle English and amp; Old French ; from Classical Latin divortium ; from divortere, variant, variety of divertere, to turn different ways: see diverse
- to dissolve legally a marriage between; separate by divorce
- to dissolve the marriage with (one's spouse)
- to separate; disunite
- a. The legal dissolution of a marriage.b. A court order or other document establishing such a dissolution.
- A separation between things that were once connected or associated.
verbdi·vorced, di·vorc·ing, di·vorc·es
- To dissolve the marriage bond between (two people).
- To end marriage with (one's spouse) by way of legal divorce.
- To cut off; separate or disunite: an idea that was completely divorced from reality. See Synonyms at separate.
Origin of divorceMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin dīvortium, from dīvortere, to divert, variant of dīvertere; see divert.
Origin of divorceFrench, masculine past participle of divorcer, to divorce, from Old French, from divorce, divorce; see divorce.
(third-person singular simple present divorces, present participle divorcing, simple past and past participle divorced)
- To legally dissolve a marriage between two people.
- A ship captain can marry couples, but cannot divorce them.
- To end one's own marriage in this way.
- Lucy divorced Steve when she discovered that he had been unfaithful.
- To separate something that was connected.
- The radical group voted to divorce itself from the main faction and start an independent movement.
- (intransitive) To obtain a legal divorce.
- Edna and Simon divorced last year; he got the house, and she retained the business.
divorce - Legal Definition
- The termination of a marriage by court order; the state of having terminated a marriage.
- To terminate a marriage to someone by obtaining a court order, usually referred to as a divorce decree.