(third-person singular simple present splits up, present participle splitting up, simple past and past participle split up)
- (intransitive, idiomatic, Of a group of people) Cease to be together, break apart from the group.
- After she left to go travelling, my girlfriend and I split up.
- The soldiers split up into smaller squadrons to search the building.
- separate, disassociate, cause to come apart.
- The brothers never behaved in class when they were together, so we had to split them up for the exam.